January 14, 2013

{It's Butter}

Well folks, I told you this was one of my goals this year, and I'm going to keep it!!

Today I'm going to tell you how to make the most wonderful thing on Earth!  Butter....yep a good yummy spreadable butter (best on some home made bread).  Maybe that post will be for a later day.

Last night Ethan was wanting his favorite soup, tomato basil, yum delisous!!  Anywho, after I make it I generally have left over cream.  What better to do with the left overs than  make butter?


It's the simplest thing really, you're going to wonder why you've never done this before.  I love making this.

Eating it is yummy too.  Warm soft bread, straight from the oven. With just the right amount of crust that crisps and crumbs all over the place.  Is it lunch time yet?

Back to the butter...

What you'll need.....
Bowl
Hand Mixer (you'll really want to use a hand mixed and not bowl kind)
Salt
Heavy whipping cream

Pour your cream into the bowl and add a couple shakes of the salt.  Start mixing the cream with the hand mixer.  I do a medium speed.  Stand. Hold mixer, stand, hold mixer, move mixer around bowl.  Continue this process for about 15-20 min.  

Your cream will go through phases, here's what you'll see....
liquid (for a long time)
milk shake consistency (after about 7 min)
sour cream consistency (after another 2 min)
it will stay like this for awhile....
cool whip consistency (you could probably make your own whipped topping with adding sugar instead of salt and stopping at this point.  I've never tried, maybe another day)
this cool whip consistency will continue to get thicker almost like working with softened cream cheese.

Then, ALL OF A SUDDEN.....whipped butter, and when I say ALL OF A SUDDEN,  I mean ALL OF A SUDDEN!!!  When it starts to turn into the whipped butter it will turn really fast.



At this point I whip for about another 20 sec to make sure it all looks the same consistency of whipped butter.  Stop and taste.  I just poke my CLEAN finger in and taste.  It might need just a little more salt.  Especially if you're making a large amount.  (Add salt if need.) Whip for about another 10 sec.



Butter can be over whipped and it can happen quickly.  If you think you're over whipping, it will become watery....STOP!!!  It won't harden in the fridge!  If you've over whipped, you might as well toss it out and try again!


Also, a little goes a LONG way.  Making butter is fun, but share with your neighbors and friends if you make a lot.  You're not going to be able to finish it all before it stinks, molds, or other gross things in your fridge.  Do not leave sitting out on your counter. Your butter will be good for about 5 days, if left in the fridge.  Yes, there is no preservatives so it is going to go bad quickly!

Giving butter to a friend can be fun!  Just take a look at my dressed up jars to give to my buds....


These jars are 1/2 pints jars and the perfect size for butter.  Add a tag and it's so cute!


Add a cute crocheted dishcloth, and you've got a cute small thank you gift.  I can't wait to give mine out! (or eat my yummy butter on my bread tonight with dinner). 


After filling four jars for friends I filled two more for myself.  It goes a long long way!!
(quart sized container used minus one cup used for soup)

If you make other things with heavy cream, let me know.  I'd love to try them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...