May 28, 2011

{Heart of the Matter} ~book review


So the other day I finally finished my book Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin.  I really do like the way she writes; simple easy reading and not too involved.  She has written four other books, which I've also read, and all are good.  In face one of her books just became a movie, Something Borrowed.  If you are going to read her books I would start with Something borrowed.  It was her first book and the one following it is a sequel.  While you don't have to read them in order she wrote them she will bring in character's from the previous books, which is kind of fun because you get this sense of what they're up to now.



Heart of the Matter is a great read, but very predictable, which did make it seem more of a Jr. High level book.  Reading it you pretty much knew what was going to happen you just didn't know when or how kind of a thing, which just kept me wanting to read.  I really didn't like the way that it ended.  I think she should have included an epilogue, and I wish there would have been more of a relationship between the two main women in the book Valerie and Tessa.

One thing that REALLY stood out to me in the book is a paragraph somewhat close to the beginning of the book when Tessa is talking to a good friend of her's in New York.  "It doesn't matter how many times I tell her that the grass is always greener and that I'm envious of her whirlwind social schedule, her hot dates (including a recent dinner with a Yankee outfielder), and her utter, blissful freedom--the kind of freedom you take for granted until you become a parent.  And it doesn't matter how often I confide my standard complaints of stay-at-home motherhood--namely, the frustration of ending a day no further ahead than where you started, and the fact that I sometimes spend more time with Elmo, Dora, and Barney than with the man I married.  None of this registers with her.  She still would trade lives with me in a heartbeat."   Sometimes I completely feel this way about my own life, even though I would never give up what I have I occasionally miss that kind of freedom!


Heart of the Matter really makes you think what would you do in their situation?  Read it and let me know here for some great debate.  There is even questions in the back of the book if you'd like to read it in a book club!  I waited for this to be in paperback, since I just didn't want to spend them money on hardback, but she does have a new book slated for 2012, which I might just have to stand in line for.

So, grab a copy and find out what happens between Valerie and Tessa, their friends and family.  I think you'll enjoy!!

The person who gives me the best thoughts on the book here on the blog I will buy Emily Giffin's next book "Where we Belong" for them when it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...